Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Event Sourced Aggregates Part 5: Anemic aggregate

In this 5th part in my series on event sourced aggregates I continue moving code out the aggregate. In the last post I moved domain logic out of the aggregate and into the command handlers, making them smart enough to actually handle commands by themselves. In this post I will continue along the path of moving stuff out of the aggregate: I will move the remaining methods, namely the 'When' methods, out from the aggregate to a new abstraction - an aggregate projector. While this will achieve the goal set out in the first post of getting past the aggregate growing and growing over time, the new aggregate projector unfortunately will suffer from the same problem. In the next post I will take another approach moving the 'When' methods out and arrive at a better design, but first let's follow what I think is the most obvious path and see why that leads a bad design.

The aggregate is a projection

Taking a step back, what is the aggregate? At the datastore level it is a list of events. Together the events represent everything that has happened to the aggregate and, as we have seen, the current state of the aggregate can be recreated from the list of events. At the code level the aggregate is an object - it has some state and it has some behavior. At this point the only behavior it has left is the 'When' methods. The important bit is that the aggregate is an object. It's just an object. Likewise, in the code, different read models are just objects that result from projections over events. In that sense the aggregate is not different from a read model: It is an object that is the result of a projection over events.

Introducing the aggregate projector

Before I start refactoring lets take a look at how the aggregate looks right now:



The aggregate has some state represented by the properties on lines 3 and 4, and then some 'When' methods that make up the logic needed to perform the projection from the aggregates events to its current state.

Seeing that a new 'When' method will be added to the aggregate every time a new event is introduced - and new features will usually result in new events, in my experience - the aggregate still has the problem of growing big and unwieldy over time. So let's introduce another class that can do the projections:



This doesn't just work. First off the new 'UserAggregateProjector' cannot set the properties on the aggregate to anything. That can be fixed by adding internal setters to the aggregate, allowing the projector to access the setters, but disallowing access from outside the same project as the 'UserAggregate', which I expect to mean anything beyond commands, command handlers and events.
Furthermore the event replay done when fetching an aggregate must also change from calling 'When' methods on the aggregate to calling them on the 'UserAggregateProjector'. That means changing 'Aggregate' base class to this:



The changes are the introduction of the 'GetProjector' method on line 30 and the use of that new method in the 'Play' method, which now does reflection of the projector class to find the 'When' methods instead of doing it over the aggregate. The end result is the same: An aggregate object with the current state of the aggregate recreated by replaying all events.

Moving the 'When' methods has obviously also changed the aggregate, which now only contains state:



This is what is known as an anemic domain model, because it has no behavior. That's usually considered an anti-pattern, but I don't necessarily agree that it is; as argued above the aggregate is essentially a projection of the events, so I do not see why that object has to be where the domain behavior goes. As we saw in the 4th post of the series command handlers is a nice place to put domain behavior.

The projector violates Open/Closed principle


As a stated at the beginning of this post the design I've arrived at now is not good: The new 'UserAggregateProjector' suffers just as much from perpetual growth as the aggregate did before I moved the 'When' methods out of it. In other words the new projector violates the Open/Closed principle, which is what I am trying to get away from. So I have not solved anything, just moved the problem to a new abstraction :( Seems like I need to take another iteration, which I will in the next post.

The code for this post is in this branch.